Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Grantsport

Adam from New Jersey sends in some mystery bikes:


Hello, my name is Adam and I am a huge fan of bikes! I'm 36, so my orginal passion was getting into 80's freestyle bikes that my friends and I all wanted as kids.  I build them for myself and I also build lowrider bikes that I usually sell.  Recently word has gotten out about my hobby now everyone and the mother is asking me questions and trying to sell me stuff!  I have recently gotten into some older 3 speeds.  The reason I am telling you all this is because I don't want you to think that I am contacting you just to ask, "yo how much is my bike worth?" I don't care about that.  I already bought them and think I got a pretty good deal.  Like I said, I don't really know anything about three-speeds though and I found the three speed gallery page while trying to do some research on these two bikes.
   A local scrapper knocked on my door asking, "I heard you buy bikes?" (my wonderful neighbor sent him my way!).  I said, "yeah, let me see what you got." He's an older guy and said the bikes belonged to his mom and dad.  They are matching blue his and her three speeds.  I was wondering if you could help me out with some history on them.  I've attached a few photos.  The woman's says "grantsport" and the man's says "Grants" on the headtubes.  My guess is that they were made for a department store? Like Free Spirit was sold for Sears.
   If anything I hope you enjoy the photos and I've found a new sight to enjoy!

The always fabulous oldroads.com has some basic info:

These were sold by W.T. Grant or Grant City stores. The chain went out of business in 1975. Grant's was sort of a cross between a 5 & 10 store and an early K-Mart. They disappeared about the time that K-Mart's started popping up. K-Mart had originated from Grant's main competitor Kresge, and probably was one of the main contributors to there demise.




If anybody else has additional info, add it in the comments.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

The grip shifters look like Sturmey Archer late 60s to 70s. You can confirm the year of a SA 3-speed hub by the two digit year code stamped on the hub shell. Wipe it down with a cloth and you should see it.

Absentminded Prof. said...

That is a Shimano 333 grip shift. I bet the hub has the same markings.

Jamie said...

I have this on my wife's bike, the hub is a Sturmey Archer dated 1966.

Its on a raleigh, possibly superb. the handle has '333' marked on it.