Tuesday, May 29, 2012

1970 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist

Lee submits another beautiful bike. This one is a more familiar English export. Lee says: I purchased my 1970 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist with rod brakes back in May 2011. Being a 1970 model myself, I was naturally drawn to the 41 year old, British gal. I would love to know some more of her history, but what I do know is she was born in Nottingham, spent some early years in Lakeland, FL (according to a bike license attached to her rear mudguard), and then somehow ended up in Oxford, MS. A Craigslist ad intrigued me enough to drive a fair distance and purchase this beauty from a gentlemen who flat out said that it was simply too big to ride. I had read about the size of these old British steel transportation bicycles but was still in awe when I first laid hands on it. She is tall, long, and stout but she feels good once astride the saddle. I slowly took her apart and cleaned her up. She is still sporting the original Brooks saddle, but I added new, cork grips and of course, new tubes and tires, even though what looked to be the originals still held air. Because of some rust concerns I did end up sanding and spraying the mudguards which made me a bit sad to lose the original patina. I will be taking her to a local bike shop to get a tune up fairly shortly because even though I was able to successfully clean my Raleigh and reassemble, I am no bicycle mechanic. I would have had a hard time painting over those fenders as well, but the end result looks good. Attached are one before and after photo of the cleanup job Lee did. Many more available at flickr, with many closeups for you.

5 comments:

Sherrill said...

Awesome!

Doug Pilgrim said...

Great Job Lee, Love the cork grips ! Where did you get them?

Danielle said...

Also love the cork grips! where are they from?

Lee Smith said...

Thanks! Rivendell Miesha cork grips.

A Bike Nerd said...

Beauty.
I hear rod brakes are terrible. Is that true?
They sure look cool though