Thursday, May 10, 2012

1953 Rudge

My favorite thing about Rudge bicycles is the front chainring. That hand symbol in the middle of the ring is cool. Jeff includes a picture that makes the chainring visible, plus a pretty neat story.
This is a 1953 women's Rudge that I recently received as a gift. The story is that this bicycle was purchased in 1953 by a woman who never owned a car. She bequeathed the bike to her neighbor who then brought to a local repair shop. This shop refused to work on it. I was more than happy to get it up and running again. The only newer parts that I can see are the pedals, and reflectors. It came with a large ugly aftermarket seat, but the original was in the basket. I've been riding it for the past two weeks, and she is a very smooth runner. I don't know if I will do more than a lube a cursory cleaning as she has so much MOJO as she is. I am thinking about a new leather saddle though. Best Regards Jeff

3 comments:

MarcosLagoSalado said...

nice Rudge!! seat in photos looks ok, is there something wrong with it? i would definitely remove the reflectors on the spokes though AND i'd definitely put on new brake pads...Kool Stop Continentals, salmon color...expensive pads but they stop those steel rims better than anything else. Does yours have an alloy AW rear hub? if so a bonus, though the steel AW is fine too...

sarahkauf said...

The seat isn't bad except for a tear on the side so it might not last too long. I think I read about about the Kool stop on the Harris site. The hub has a dull finish under the grime so I don't think it's steel. What the deal with the alloy Hubs?

MarcosLagoSalado said...

ALLOY HUBS WERE LIGHTER, ONLY MADE FOR A FEW YEARS, SO JUST A COOL THING TO HAVE IF YOU HAVE ONE...HUB WILL SAY "ALLOY" NEAR TO THE 2 DIGIT DATE OR WHERE IT SAYS AW...MY 53 RUDGE MENS HAS AN ALLOY HUB...YOU Could TREAT THE SEAT WITH BROOKS PROOFIDE OR THE LESS EXPENSIVE SEAT TREATTMENT AT VELO ORANGE--GOOGLE KOOL STOP CONTINENTAL TO FIND THE BEST PRICE ON THE PADS