Thursday, March 3, 2011

1963 Royce Union

Wayne sends photos of a 1963 Royce Union three speed with a personal back story:

This bicycle was purchased new by my mother in 1963. For the past 30+ years, it has sat in the garage, collecting lots of dust and slowly corroding.

Although the brand name is Royce Union, the bicycle was built in the Raleigh factory in Nottingham, England. Upon complete dis-assembly, I noticed that some of the components are stamped with the Raleigh heron. After cleaning, lubing, re-assembling and adjusting everything, it’s probably in better shape now than it was when new. When I took the Sturmey Archer AW 3-speed hub apart, I found it to be amazing and elegant in its simplicity. I decided against repainting the frame because that would have eliminated the character shown by the slightly worn decals; it polished up quite nicely. I did replace a wheel bearing cone, tires & inner tubes, brake pads and saddle.

I'm pleased with the outcome! Everything works smoothly, and it looks great while doing it.






I think we'll all agree it looks fantastic. Thanks for sending these photos along, Wayne.

2 comments:

adventure! said...

I can see why he wouldn't want to repaint it--it's in such beautiful shape!

markcrowel said...

Can anyone tell me about Behrens West German three speeds? I have one.

My Dad bought it for me when it was new, about 1961. The head tube says Flying Eagle. I don't know anything about this company.

It originally had a Sturmey Archer shifter and hub, but about ten years ago I gave it a new rear rear wheel with a Sachs three-speed hub.