Monday, January 18, 2010

Gold 69 Raleigh and 79 Typhoon

Here are some pics of my cherished 3 speeds. The gold one is a 1969 Raleigh Sports "All-Gold Edition" in beautiful un-restored original condition. The tires and seat are new but everything else is as it was in 1969. The seat is a new Brooks Leather Saddle. Fitting to the bike. We have a Raleigh dealer here in Asheville that has been in business since 1896 (yes 1896) so the local yard sales are always turning up old Raleigh's. The Schwinn is a 1979 Schwinn Typhoon. It is my daily rider. It has new Sturmey-Archer hubs with drum brakes front and rear, laced to some modern alloy 26" rims. The front hub has a dynamo built in and the lights are 1960's Royce Union 6V 3w set. The front sprocket is a 28 tooth (and if you have ever been to Asheville NC you would know why.........) Love your site and keep up the great work.









7 comments:

MarcosLagoSalado said...

all gold Ralegh--a 66--too. think it was orginally from Denver area, now t's n salt lake. What do you think of the twistgrip?
am now rashly, maybe mistakenly, converting it to a new SA 5speed. part of me wants to convert back in md-project but i am in time and money....anyhow yours is a beauty!

MarcosLagoSalado said...

seems all gold Ralegihs had twist grips, why? how many 3 speeds were thus equipped?

Ah Chow said...

Luv your blue cruiser style 'old-timer'. Is it Schwinn or Raleigh? Model? I also have a cruiser which I intend to customize it into the one like yours pictured. Nice blog.

sloper said...

Nice Rides!

btreusdell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SatelliteBeach said...

I recently picked up matching his and hers Raleigh all-golds. I'm in the process of getting them in riding condition. I live in Florida, so the rust on the chrome was a real challenge but they are looking pretty good at this point. Now all I need to do is put them back together and my girl and I will have a couple of pretty sweet rides.

Dolmance said...

I've never been a bike enthusiast, but I saw this all gold ladies Sports a few days ago and caught the bug in an instant. Anyway, I took it for an overhaul and the mechanic is going to call today with a list of what needs to be done.

I haven't owned a bike since I was a kid, and I have never considered myself any sort of collector, but I'm really in love with this thing. I have a single gear cruiser I like to ride around on, but I'm not crazy about it like I am this new one.

I'm hoping this all gold will be my main riding bike, and notice you don't use it for your main ride. Is there any particular reason for that?