Tuesday, September 1, 2009

1961 JC Higgins



I've really enjoyed your blog, so I thought I'd share my project.

This is a 1961 JC Higgins...actually my first bike that I remember picking out of the Sears catalog as an eight year old. It had been hanging in my folks' garage for over 40 years.

It's made in Austria by Steyr/Puch, with a JC HIggins branded Austrian 3 spd. hub. The frame is fully lugged with 3 piece cottered cranks.

This is the bike that I first cut my cycling teeth on; it took me to school, delivered papers, and eventually took me on several century rides. The last time I rode it, I had obviously outgrown it, as shown by my attempts to turn it into a racing bike. It eventually gave way to sexier thoroughbreds, but you never forget your first.

Plans are to return it to it's former glory with the original upright touring bars and chrome fenders it came with, along with the distinctive JC Higgins crank. I'm still missing the chainguard, head tube badge and front "ratrap" carrier. If anyone has a lead on those items, let me know! I'll send more photos as work progresses.

John from Bellingham, WA

1 comment:

Osgood Templeton said...

John, That is a really nice bike; please let me know if you plan on selling it

Thanks alot, Nick

at: ncroth@comcast.net