Friday, June 20, 2008

1963 ladies Dunelt



From the owner of this bike:
I've just finished fixing up a 1963 Dunelt 3 speed womens' bike (black). Works well, except for the twist shifter, which is a little rough. I suppose I could change it over to a trigger type. If my wife rides it much at all I'll probably put new tires/tubes on it.
Found the bike behind the dumpster at 8100 Knox in Bloomington. They redid their parking lot and got rid of all the bikes left unclaimed and chained to signposts in the lot. There was a nice Free Spirit mens 3 speed also but it was still chained to two other and in a pile of about a dozen bikes, you know how they can get tangled up when piled that way. The Dunelt was on the outside of the pile and when I was looking at it the maintenence man came along and said I could take anything I wanted. I quietly pushed that baby away, got it in the car and after about 4 hours of work it's ready to go, my wife will love it.


Pat
Minneapolis, Minnesota

4 comments:

KERi said...

That bike looks great! I have one just like that.. that I got recently, my brother got it for me. but it needs some work on it, only a chain & some break work!

KERi said...

to correct myself from before.. its like that, but its a -men's- bike.. with the bar a crossed.. so it takes a bit for me to get on! could say taller by about 2 inches when I sit on 'cause I'm 5'5" =]

el vee said...

hello, I know your posting was from a few months ago, but I wonder if you have any information about Dunelt restoration. I inherited one a few years ago and have only recently taken an interest in customizing it and updating it. It's in great shape after a few tune-ups, but would love to make it better. Any info about spare Dunelt parts (mine is a 1963 ladies, also black), would love to be pointed in the right direction.
Thanks!

Bicycle Dallas said...

I'm in Dallas I was recently given a 65 ladies Dunelt that looks just like yours and it was originally purchased in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I wonder if the original owners ever rode together? :-) I'm in the early stages of cleaning and updating mine.

Chris